Hi there, I’m Scott
I’ve worked with some amazing companies like Kaiser Permanente, Capital One and Amazon. My design philosophy is centered around clean, intuitive designs that are results-driven. I’m a strong collaborator, with the proven ability to navigate ambiguity, work effectively with cross-functional teams, and to deliver the right solution to meet the unique needs of each project. I am passionate about inspiring creative excellence and driving innovation to achieve exceptional results.
- Creative Direction
- Art Direction
- User Experience
- Social Media Marketing
- After Effects and video
- Figma, Sketch
Kaiser Permanente | Renton, WA 2018–2023
Senior Art Director | in-house creative agency
A lead creative collaborator across a wide span of advertising, marketing and customer-focused projects. Delivered effective creative work that consistently met or exceeded business goals. Utilized advanced knowledge of design principles, theories, and concepts including setting an appropriate tone, establishing messaging hierarchy, and using visual elements to tell an engaging story. Proven ability to articulate creative rationale and able to synthesize and incorporate feedback to gain buy-in with marketing and business strategy leadership, cross-functional stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Led art direction, concept development and design for regional advertising campaigns across every marketing channel (digital banners, social media, print, billboards, websites, email, video production and motion graphics).
- reated, designed, and developed member-facing materials including toolkits, plan guides and other assets enabling members to get the most from their healthcare. Extremely proficient working within Medicare compliance standards and The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements.
- Drove customer acquisition in B2C and B2B, supporting the sales organization across every line of business with plan materials and sales kits along with event support including the annual producer forum and open enrollment benefit fairs.
- Art directed and designed materials for community health projects and key partnerships like Special Olympics Washington.
Capital One | Seattle, WA 2012–2018
Senior Art Director | Brand Creative: In-house ad agency supporting the investing line of business
Served as the lead visual creative resource for art direction and interaction design across every marketing channel. Led initial campaign concepts through to the final finished product whether print, digital, social or other. Provided creative oversight of internal and external resources including agencies and vendors.
- Oversaw tight collaboration with the brand strategy team to develop and implement marketing plans and promotional strategies. Closed the loop reviewing results and delivering optimizations for campaigns.
- Crafted top-notch creative that delivered strong results—consistently exceeding project goals for targets like customer acquisition and assets under management.
- Built and maintained presentations to promote the group’s work to key stakeholders, partners and Capital One leadership.
- Recognized SME sought out by digital product teams to provide brand oversight and creative input on multiple tools and services.
- Improved processes and procedures, incorporating new technologies and techniques, and adopting an agile approach to bring better work to market, faster.
- Managed initial quotes from vendors and partners, monitoring milestone reviews and final reporting.
Amazon.com | Seattle, WA 2011–2012
UI Designer II | Amazon Prime
User interface/user experience design updating and creating new customer experiences for the Prime and Tote/Day teams from a user-centered perspective.
- UI/UX design that redefined the customer delivery experience for Amazon users.
- Conducted user research and usability studies.
- Designed, built and tested interactive prototypes to iterate and evolve design concepts.
- Spearheaded a branding system and visual style guide for the Amazon Tote/Day test project.
- Provided concepting, designing and copywriting of marketing messages for Amazon Prime.
Department of Defense | Fort Lewis, WA 2008–2010
Product Designer | National Center for Telehealth & Technology (T2)
Designed and implemented user interface/user experience for T2 software products. Planned, executed and delivered complete websites intended for Congressional staff, Department of Defense leadership, as well as service members and their families.
- Collaborated with and oversaw multi-disciplinary teams to define conceptual directions, user interaction and workflow models.
- Developed high-quality visual approaches and refined them into complete, functional design systems.
- Worked closely with teams of engineers in an agile environment.
- Concepted, designed and created the T2 brand identity.
Additional professional experience
Brand Content | Senior Interactive Art Director | Boston, MA
Hill, Holliday, Connors, Cosmopulous, Inc. | Interactive Art Director | Boston, MA
ISM Strategic Marketing, Inc. | Interactive Designer | Boston, MA
Education and certifications
Bachelor of Arts: Film, Television, Animation, Evergreen State College, Olympia WA
Associate of Arts, South Puget Sound Community College, Olympia WA User Experience Certification (UXC), Nielsen Norman Group
- Kaiser Permanente
- Capital One
- Dunkin Donuts
- Many others
- © Scott Smith